London Silver Vaults

The London Silver Vaults has been a centre of the silver trade since 1953 when retail units were opened in the basement of the premises at 53-64 Chancery Lane. It’s history goes back even further however. In 1876, the building originally opened as the Chancery Lane Safety Deposit and during the Second World War the vaults became used as a store for silver and valuables as London suffered from bombing damage.

When it was rebuilt eight years after the war, many of the silver dealers who had previously rented space there decided to take up the units in the newly fitted retail space. Today it remains a prominent location for antique silver with specialist dealers offering a wide range of wares.


img_28-1.jpg

London Silver Vaults – a real-life Aladdin’s Cave

24 May 2018

In the heart of London’s legal district, two storeys underground, lies the world’s biggest concentration of antique silver offered by the world’s most extensive concentration of antique silver dealers. Welcome to The London Silver Vaults.

vaults-01.jpg

Meet the faces behind the doors at the London Silver Vaults

24 May 2018

The London Silver Vaults unites dozens of independent firms – many long-standing family businesses – with a shared passion for the gleam of polished white metal. In this advertising feature, we meet some of the faces behind those iron doors.

ATG letter: Silver Vaults since 1885

05 March 2018

MADAM – Re: the article by Laura Chesters concerning the future of the Silver Vaults (ATG No 2330). Just to correct a small point – that the Chancery Lane Safe Deposit was opened by the Lord Mayor in May 1885 and not in 1876.

img_5-1.jpg

Landlord at Silver Vaults considers options

19 February 2018

The long-term future of the historic London Silver Vaults is uncertain as the landlord weighs up options for the building.

Murderer of silver dealer given life sentence

13 December 2013

A man has been sentenced to life in prison for the “cold and calculated” killing of a silver dealer.

13-08-15-2103DD03A silver vaults.jpg

The silver vaults - 60 years as a London institution

15 August 2013

Back in 1953, The London Silver Vaults opened on the site of the 1880s Chancery Lane Safe Deposit Company, where the great and the good (and no doubt not so good) of London stowed their valuables.

Veterans for the Vaults

26 January 2005

AFTER more than 41 years, veteran silver dealers Hymie and Shirley Dinerstein have left West London’s Portobello Road.

... in the Silver Vaults

28 May 2002

THIS wig powderer was made in York in 1817. Described in Michael Clayton’s book The Collector’s Dictionary of Silver & Gold of Great Britain & North America as “a tapering cylinder, from the cover of which rises a tube with a mouth of spherical form,” this type is dated to around 1800.

News

Categories