1) An Egyptian turquoise hippopotamus and a Russian icon are among five lots to watch
Five previews of upcoming items including an Egyptian turquoise-glazed faience hippopotamus dating from 1550BC.
2) Age and name unknown – the $120,000 lady
A small but enigmatic oil on panel catalogued as ‘Anglo-Dutch School’ drew a dramatic competition in an upstate New York auction after an eleventh-hour reassessment suggested it may be an early lifetime depiction of Elizabeth I.
3) Life Imitates Art: Lowry's 'The Auction' sells at £2.1m
A painting of an auction by LS Lowry was knocked down at £2.1m at Sotheby’s.
4) Clarice Cliff comes to the big (and small) screen
A film of artist potter Clarice Cliff’s (1899-1972) early life is now at cinemas and available via streaming services.
5) Japanese porcelain elephant stars in our pick of five auction highlights
ATG’s weekly selection of items that caught bidders’ eyes included an early Japanese porcelain elephant form koro from c.1700 that made 12-times estimate at Woolley & Wallis.
This list is based on unique users for individual news stories over the period November 25-December 1, 2021.