A private collection of more than 30 Chinese handscrolls and hanging scrolls star at Roseberys on June 27 in West Norwood, London.
Included among the group is a 19th century mounted silk scroll painted with a bird perched on a blossoming branch by Ren Yi (1840-94), the son of a rice merchant who supplemented his income by painting. The 10in (26cm) in diameter work is signed with the artist’s seal and is dated to the spring of 1891.
Among the furniture at Bellmans’ Sussex sale on May 9 is a pair of 19th century Chinese carved Hongmu (rosewood) tripod occasional tables inset with famille-rose porcelain panels.
Each of the circular panels is painted with a dignitary seated in a pavilion surrounded by attendants and watching performers.
Measuring 2ft 8in (81cm) high, the tables have a moulded and pierced frieze and a floral carved gadrooned support on a tripod base with patera carved knees and claw and ball feet.
A Country Life article published in 1910 on Glemham Hall in Suffolk captured this large 18th century Chinese export lacquer six-fold screen in photos taken of the house’s interiors. One of a pair, the screens were described at the time as having originally belonged to Elihu Yale, the America-born British merchant who founded the Connecticut university.
Painted in gilt on a black ground, the 8ft 8in x 17in (2.64m x 43.5cm) panels feature figures pursuing everyday activities among the garden pavilions and landscapes. The reverse is decorated with scenes of tiger hunting in mountainous landscapes.
The screen is estimated at £2000-4000 in Sworders’ May 9 sale in Stansted Mountfitchet.
Estimated at £2000-3000, ascarce Cape of Good Hope Chinese export dish (c.1740) is for sale at Hannam’s on May 4-5 in Selborne, Hampshire.
The large 10in (25cm) wide piece is painted with the floating Dutch fleet at anchor in Table Mountain Bay, off the city of Cape Town in South Africa.
A familiar sight to both Portuguese and Dutch traders, the bay was the resting point midway in the six-month trip between Europe and Canton. The Dutch fleet took control of the territory in 1652.