This 6in (15cm) parcel gilt silver cockerel cup was made in Moravia (modern-day Czech Republic) in 1601 by Georg Baurath. As detailed by an inscription to the base, it was given as the prize in a shooting festival held in the city of Székesfehérvár in central Hungary soon after the city had been liberated from the Ottomans in 1601.
Schützenfest or marksmen’s festivals welcomed hundreds of marksmen and visitors. The most important contest was the Vogelschiessen where contestants would take turns to shoot a wood bird mounted on a pole. The contestant who dislodged the last pieces of the wooden bird was the new ‘king of marksmen’.
Paris dealership Galerie Kugel offers the cup at TEFAF Maastricht priced at a six-figure sum.
This Edwardian diamond floral tiara was made by Carrington in London for Phyllis Elinor Turner (1893-1958) for her presentation at court, possibly at Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, before her marriage to Gilbert Maxwell Adair Graham in June 1913.
Phyllis and her brother Arthur Turner lived their lives in Porto, among the 1000-strong Anglo-Portuguese community. Her tiara, set with old mine cut and rose-cut diamonds weighing around 12ct is a convertible jewel can also be worn as a necklace.
It is expected to bring £15,000-20,000 at Dreweatts’ July 7 sale of Fine Jewellery, Silver and Luxury Accessories at Donnington Priory, Newbury.
The London-Paris revivalist goldsmith Jean-Valentin Morel (1794-1860) specialised in the production of highly refined hardstone and enamel cups in the 16th and 17th century style. He showed numerous examples at the 1851 Great Exhibition where he was awarded the Council Medal, and at the Paris Exposition Universelle of 1855, where he was awarded the ‘Grande Medaille’ for goldwork and jewellery.
This 8in (20cm) historicist gold, enamel, pearl and heliotrope (bloodstone) cup made in Paris, c.1855, is priced at £160,000 by Koopman Rare Art at Masterpiece London.
This gold and enamel mourning ring with a compartment for a lock of hair was made by the London jewellery Charles Rawlings to mark the death of Lord Byron in 1824. Only three other Byron mourning rings are recorded: one in the Pforzheimer collection in the New York Public Library, another from the Hone collection, sold at Christie’s in 2016, and another sold at Tennants in 2018, thought to originate from the contents of Newstead Abbey.
This particular ring was possibly gifted by Augusta Leigh (half-sister to Lord Byron) to Rev Francis Hodgson, an assistant master at Eton and close friend of Lord Byron. A ring matching this description and mentioning a lock of hair was sold at Christie’s in January 1899 by a Mrs Hodgson, selling to a J Ward.
As part of a private collection of early jewellery, it is expected to bring £8000-12,000 at the Woolley & Wallis Jewellery sale in Salisbury on July 14-15.
Unlike the later ‘kutch’ silver that was made by Indian craftsmen, Anglo-Indian silver was typically made by English and Scottish silversmiths who relocated to the subcontinent and set up workshops and shops in the major cities. Many of the forms they created mirrored those that were popular in Britain at the time although some were new, necessary for life in a challenging climate.
A large collection of Anglo-Indian pieces by a range of silversmiths comes for sale at Dreweatts in Donnington Priory, Newbury on July 7. The 43 lots include this trophy cup and cover made by Twentyman & Co in Calcutta, c.1835. Standing 13½in (34cm) high, it is chased with a floral band and engraved To Captain J Herring 37th Regiment as a mark of esteem from the undermentioned member of the Mess.
Herring had arrived in India in 1805. He rose to the rank of lieutenant during the Nepal War in 1814-15 and lieutenant-colonel when his military adventures in the 37th Regiment of the Bengal Native Infantry took him to Afghanistan. During the First Afghan War he was killed by tribesmen at Haidar Khel in December 1839 and was buried in Kabul two days later.
This pair of Roman gold and garnet hoop earrings (with modern hook fittings) dates from the 1st-2nd Century AD. They come from a private collection in Germany and were acquired at the Galerie Peter Lankoff, Freiburg, in 1972.
They are priced at £3900 from London antiquities specialist Charles Ede at Masterpiece London.
Playing dominoes was said to be one of Queen Victoria’s favourite pastimes, with the game mentioned nearly 40 times in her journal. She particularly loved to play with Prince Albert and after his death in 1861 references to the game ceased.
It is thought she later gave her domino set to her youngest son, Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany. It was passed down through his descendants until it appeared at auction nearly 40 years ago.
Created in Geneva between 1804-08 by Jean-François Bautte (1772-1837), the set is made in gold case overlaid with translucent enamel and set with seed pearls. The box conceals a musical movement. The set is estimated at £250,000-400,000 on July 5 as part of Sotheby’s mixed-discipline Treasures sale.
Made c.1962, this Omega Speedmaster Professional 2998- 62 was the last variation of the reference 2998 prior to the famous transition to the reference 105002- 62 SC – the watch that was used on the Moon landing. It has an estimate of £7000-10,000 at Chiswick Auctions on June 30.
This 54oz silver punch bowl by the London silversmith Edward Fernell is engraved with the arms of the Harwood family of Deane House, Hampshire.
The family is associated with Jane Austen as the Rev George Austin served as rector of both Deane and nearby Steventon. The Austens were regular visitors to the Harwoods, and Jane met her first love, Thomas Lefroy at a ball at Deane House. It may be that this famous lady novelist enjoyed a cup of punch from this very bowl.
The bowl is priced at £9750 by Mary Cooke Antiques at the Art & Antiques Fair Olympia.
This set of four George II silver candlesticks by George Wickes, London 1743, bear the arms of Thomas Thynne the second Marquess of Bath (1765-1837). Each is engraved underneath with the numbers 1-4 and scratch weights.
Thynne was the eldest son of Thomas Thynne, 1st Marquess of Bath (1734-96), and Lady Elizabeth Cavendish-Bentinck (1735-1825). He is recorded as one of Wickes’ patrons in the Wakelin and Tayler ledgers with these candlesticks later recorded in an 1896 Inventory of Plate held at Longleat House.
At the June 22-23 Silver and Objects of Vertu sale at Chiswick Auctions the set has a guide of £15,000-25,000.
This French silver-gilt table knife and fork, c.1810, is from a service made for Napoleon Bonaparte. The neoclassical design features the profile of Minerva, the imperial arms of Napoleon, and the initial N in a laurel wreath. It has Paris marks for Martin Guillaume Biennais (1764-1843), the main supplier of silver and silver-gilt to Napoleon and his family and the firm that made the emperor’s crown and sceptre for the 1804 coronation.
The knife and fork are on offer at the Woolley & Wallis Silver & Vertu sale in Salisbury on July 12 with a guide of £3000-5000. They come for sale by descent from Alfred William Weston (1892-1950), a businessman, entrepreneur and illustrator who was employed by John Logie Baird to edit Television, the world’s first television journal. He is thought to have acquired them in the 1920s.
The artists’ enclave of Newlyn in Cornwall was not exclusively a colony of painters. In the 1890s the Newlyn Industrial Class was established by artist John D Mackenzie to provide education and an alternative source of income for the local fishermen. Crafts such as jewellery, copper, enamel work and textiles were encouraged from workshops on Champion Slip.
While beaten copper vessels, fashioned with fish, galleons and other marine motifs, are the best-known products of the Newlyn craft revival, the jewellery made there is equally distinctive.
An excellent example comes for sale at Sworders’ Fine Jewellery & Watches sale on June 28. This Arts & Crafts necklace, c.1900, is set with plaques of shaded green and blue enamel and specimens of labradorite. Signed Newlyn Enamel to each plaque it comes for sale with a guide of £500-700.
This 19th century Jacobean revival pearl necklace is mounted with two gold discs with enamel decoration and three portrait miniatures, depicting Mary, Queen of Scots, Nell Gwyn after a 17th portrait by Sir Peter Lely and Catherine of Aragon or possibly Jane Seymour.
In a fitted case by London dealership DS Lavender (Antiques), it has a guide of £6000-8000 in the sale of Jewellery & Watches at Lawrences of Crewkerne on July 7.
Fellows’ Luxury Watch Sale in Birmingham on August 8 includes this Rolex Oyster Perpetual Explorer Ref 1016. Dating from c.1968, the watch comes with its original box, papers and original purchase receipt.