Burgess members have played at Barnton since 1894 (and at Musselburgh from 1874) but for its first century and a half, its home was the Bruntsfield Links – one of the earliest-known locations where golf was played in Scotland.
The December 10 sale at Lacy Scott & Knight (22.5% buyer’s premium) in Bury St Edmunds included two William IV-era medals for competitions held at Bruntsfield Links by the society in 1832 and 1833.
Both hallmarked for the Edinburgh silversmith Elder & Co, they were labelled for the Edinburgh Burgess Golfing Society (the royal was not added until 1929) and were engraved with a badge of crossed golf clubs and thistles with the motto Far and Sure.
The oval medal was inscribed Autumn Medal Played For On Bruntsfield Links October 20th 1832 and won by Mr EP Junor while a similar medal of scalloped form was inscribed Presented for Competition on Bruntsfield Links to the Members of the Edinburgh Burgess Golfing Society by Captain Horn, and won by EP Junor 23d March 1833.
Both guided at £300-500 apiece, they took £3300 and £2300 respectively.