The 15½in (39cm) Imperial Roman period statue was part of the collection of an American diplomat, Larz Anderson, and his wife Isabel.
They met in Rome during his ambassadorial service when she was on her Grand Tour in the late-19th century and it was most likely purchased at that time.
The couple spent three years from 1902-05 building and furnishing a 50-room palatial mansion in Washington, DC, known as The Anderson House.
This statue was included in an estate appraisal dated 1911.
The intention was to bequeath the house and furnishings to the Society of the Cincinnati in Washington for a headquarters and museum, which Isabel did after Larz’s death in 1937.
In 2000 the statue was included in a sale of deaccessioned property from the society and since then has been in a private collection.
Offered by Cottone with an estimate of $3000-5000 in the March 28 auction, the statue eventually made a multiple of that guide when it was knocked down for $32,000 (£28,570) hammer (or $37,800/£33,750 including premium).
£1 = $1.12