It was a gift from Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna of Russia to Princess Alexandrine of Mecklenburg-Schwerin on the occasion of her marriage to the Danish Prince Christian in Cannes in 1898.
A year later the couple were proclaimed Queen Alexandrine and King Christian X of Denmark. The tiara, which was designed to be used as two components – a bandeau and a necklace – was passed to their daughter-in-law Princess Caroline Mathilde who later changed it to its present form. It has remained since then in the family.
The tiara is attributed to CE Bolin of St Petersburg (1897-98) and has an estimate of €200,000-270,000.