1) 10 top lots at Duke’s auction of contents from Athelhampton House
“Good old-fashioned country house auctions are a rarity these days and it is a privilege to organise one against such an historic backdrop.” So says Guy Schwinge of Dorchester auction house Duke’s, referring to the upcoming sale of the contents from Athelhampton House in Dorset.
2) Missing painting by John Lavery discovered by Dublin auctioneer Whyte's
A painting by Sir John Lavery (1856-1941) consigned to Irish auctioneer Whyte’s by a man in Lancashire, has been identified as having been stolen 25 years ago from a British public school.
3) Chinese dragon charger, Georgian Valentine cards and a majolica cheese dish – six auction highlights that caught bidders’ eyes
ATG’s selection of hammer highlights includes a Guangxu period ‘dragon’ charger and a whimsical majolica cheese dish that both made over 30-times estimate.
4) Bonhams to expand online by selling via thesaleroom.com
In a move to increase its digital presence and reach new bidders, Bonhams has agreed a long-term partnership with online auction marketplace thesaleroom.com.
5) Major record for Banksy as ‘Devolved Parliament’ brings lengthy bidding contest at Sotheby’s
Banksy’s derisive portrayal of The House of Commons reduced to an assembly of primates achieved a record £8.5m (plus premium) in Sotheby’s latest Contemporary Art evening sale.
This list is based on unique users for individual news stories over the period October 3-9, 2019.