1) Cimabue panel found hanging in kitchen sells for over £20m at auction in France – watch video of auction
A panel ascribed to the Italian artist Cimabue (c.1240-1302) drew dramatic competition at French auction house Actéon, becoming the eighth most expensive Old Master ever sold.
2) Moshe Oved silver ring, rare British petrol pump globe and William Gladstone’s grandfather clock – six auction highlights that caught bidders’ eyes
ATG’s selection of hammer highlights this week includes a silver ring by Moshe Oved that made 70-times estimate, a rare British petrol pump globe that doubled predictions and a longcase clock believed to have been owned by former British Prime Minister William Gladstone that chimed with bidders.
3) Actress Judi Dench and the Brontë Museum call on public to help fund bid for miniature manuscript by a 14-year-old Charlotte Brontë
The Brontë Parsonage Museum in Haworth in West Yorkshire has begun a public campaign to raise the final funds needed to bid for a rare manuscript from the Brontës' childhood.
4) Rare Islamic gold dinar sets joint record at auction
A rare Umayyad gold dinar dated 105AH (723AD) equalled the auction record for an Islamic coin when it was hammered down at £3.1m at Morton & Eden.
5) Auction record for a £1.2m bottle of Scotch whisky
The £7.6m sale of ‘The Ultimate Whisky Collection’ at Sotheby’s in London included a single bottle sold for £1.2m.
This list is based on unique users for individual news stories over the period October 24-30, 2019.