1) Sotheby’s and Old Master dealer reach out of court settlement over disputed Frans Hals painting
Old Master picture dealer Mark Weiss has agreed an out-of-court settlement with Sotheby’s in the case of a $10m painting the auction house believed to be a forgery.
2) Golding Young & Mawer to sell Stamford dealer 800-lot collection without reserve
Lincolnshire auctioneer Golding Young & Mawer is to sell the stock and personal collections of Stamford-based antiques dealers Gavin Burns and his son Ross later this month, following their retirement from the business in December 2018.
3) Mega sleepers awakened at regional auctions across mercurial March
The month of March produced an unusually large number of awakened sleepers across the UK’s regional auction rooms – from an Old Master drawing to a rare Marklin tinplate train.
4) Giambologna bronze brings 100 times estimate in Paris
A Mannerist bronze after Giambologna brought a surprise €3.2m (£2.7m) at French auction house Artcurial.
5) Remarkable collection of ancient engraved gems comes to auction at Christie’s New York
Christie’s is to sell a remarkable collection of engraved gems from the Classical world, formerly in the Sangiorgi collection, in New York.
This list is based on unique users for individual news stories over the period March 28-April 3, 2019.