1) Viewers of BBC show Fake or Fortune? wait a year to discover Giacometti sculpture knocked over by a cat is the real thing at £500,000
The verification of a Giacometti sculpture once knocked over by a cat was delayed by months leaving viewers of BBC art show ‘Fake or Fortune?’ waiting a year to find out if it was worth £500,000.
2) Contents from Shropshire’s 18th century stately home Mawley Hall come fresh to the market at Cheffins
The principal contents of Mawley Hall, the 18th-century country mansion described by Country Life as 'Shropshire’s Baroque masterpiece', will come up for auction in Cambridge next month.
3) Bought for £1 in a charity shop, will Chinese vase be worth £80,000?
Purchased for £1 from a Hertfordshire charity shop earlier this year, a Qianlong famille rose wall vase will carry an estimate of over £50,000 at Sworders in the autumn.
4) Emmerdale actor’s Modern art collection comes to auction
West Yorkshire-born actor Andrew Burt (b.1945-2018) became a household name back in the early 1970s playing the role of Jack Sugden in ‘Emmerdale Farm’.
5) Arts & Crafts curtains, Chippendale-style chairs and a naval officer’s sword – five auction highlights that caught bidders’ eyes
ATG’s selection of hammer highlights includes a pair of William Morris ‘Peacock and Dragon’ curtains that fetched over 20-times estimate.
This list is based on unique users for individual news stories over the period August 22-28, 2019.