1) Fake or Fortune? art sleuths investigate whether Sir Thomas Lawrence or Maria Cosway painted mystery portrait
Art programme Fake or Fortune? is returning for the second episode of its eighth series with a mystery portrait that art dealer Philip Mould believes could be by Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830).
2) Rare watercolour of Venice brought into charity shop sells for £2400 at Somerset auction
One consequence of the growing prevalence of charity shops on the high street is that auctioneers are receiving more and more items that these organisations want to check in case they are valuable.
3) Chinese vase sleeper awakens with £200,000 bid at Felixstowe auction
There was high drama at the small Suffolk saleroom of Diamond Mills when a Chinese vase estimated at just £100-150 sold in the room at £200,000.
4) Scrap gold rises close to all-time high in UK
Helped by the weakening pound, the price of gold in the UK has hit a seven-year high.
5) Yongzheng perfection sets house record in Bath
Aldridges of Bath smashed its house record last week with the sale of a Yongzheng mark and period bowl for £220,000. It had come for sale following a routine house call.
This list is based on unique users for individual news stories over the period Aug 1-7, 2019.