1) Dorchester saleroom Duke's to hold ‘biggest house contents auction’ in the regions for a decade
Duke’s of Dorchester has announced what promises to be the biggest house contents sale of the year and the largest by a UK regional auction house for more than a decade.
2) BADA president Victoria Borwick resigns from role
Victoria Borwick, president of the British Antique Dealers’ Association (BADA), has resigned after nearly four years in the post.
3) Valuable books missing since Second World War restored to Bonn library after being consigned to Sotheby’s
Six-hundred rare books, manuscripts and prints which were lost or stolen from a German library during the Second World War have been returned after they were consigned to Sotheby’s.
4) “An absolute belter” – ‘Anglo-German’ George I bookcase bid to £120,000
An extraordinary George I burr walnut bureau bookcase was bought for £120,000 when Duke’s of Dorchester sold the contents of Moigne Combe earlier this month.
5) Collection from the “extraordinary life” of Harold Wilson and his wife Mary comes to auction in Staffordshire
Harold Wilson (1916-95) was Britain’s prime minister not once, but twice and was the man who offered Britain its first referendum on membership of the then European Community and the Common Market. Now, his collection of pipes, passports, paintings and personal papers is coming to auction.
This list is based on unique users for individual news stories over the period April 11-17, 2019.