At the same time, eBay is taking the unusual step of removing customer complaints of delayed deliveries – providing the delay was caused by the extreme weather.
The online giant told traders it will remove negative feedback about deliveries “if sellers feel they’ve been unduly affected by the adverse weather and have supporting evidence”.
In terms of live auctions set to take place around the country this week, ATG has learned of numberous salerooms being affected by adverse weather from Taunton in the South West to Sudbury in the East.
The snow has been particularly heavy in Scotland, where McTears of Glasgow have been forced to reschedule two upcoming sales. The auctioneers have emailed clients saying: “As a result of the unprecedented weather conditions currently sweeping the country we have taken the decision to close the McTear’s offices and premises with immediate effect.
“The safety of our staff and customers is our top priority and we have listened carefully to the advice from all the relevant authorities.”
List of affected events
Here is a list of affected events which will be updated as ATG receives new information. ATG strongly recommends anyone planning to set out to attend an auction, fair or other event to check on its status before starting their journey.
- Ottery Auction Rooms’ sale in Ottery St Mary's, East Devon on March 2 has been postponed until 10 March.
- Bellmans auction in Billingshurst, West Sussex on Saturday March 3 will now be held on Monday March 5. Weather permitting, the viewing will still stake place on Saturday from 9am-1pm.
- Rathowen Auctions’ sale at Rathowen Glebe, Co. Westmeath in Ireland on Sunday March 4 has been postponed. Further details will follow in due course.
- B2B Events has announced that its next Malvern Antiques & Collectors Fair, due to be held on Sunday March 4 at the Three Counties Showground, has been cancelled “due to severe weather”. The next scheduled flea and collectables fair is on April 2.
- Wessex Auction Rooms of Chippenham, Wiltshire has postponed its antiques, furniture and collectables auction on March 3. It will now be held on March 10 with viewing on March 9. The firm said the decision was made “in the interest of the safety of our staff and customers”.
- JJ Morris Auctions’ furniture sale on March 2 at The Market Hall, Crymych, Pembrokeshire will now take place on March 9. The viewing will be held on March 8 and from 9am on morning of the sale.
- Mealy’s in Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland has moved its upcoming sale from March 6 to March 13.
- Smiths Newent’s sale in Gloucestershire on March 1, which includes a medals and militaria section, has been postponed until March 5.
- Atkins Auctions in Axminster, Devon have postponed their auction on March 2. It will now be held on March 5.
- McTears of Glasgow’s Rare & Collectable Whisky scheduled for Friday March 2 will now take place on Wednesday March 7 at 10.30am. The viewing is now due to take place from Monday 5. The saleroom’s Scottish Contemporary Art Auction scheduled for Sunday March 4 will now take place on Sunday March 11 at 1pm. The viewing is planned from Thursday March 8
- Greenslade Taylor Hunt in Taunton, Somerset postponed their auction which was scheduled for March 2. It will now be held on March 6.
- Swan Fine Art’s auction at in Tetsworth in Oxfordshire scheduled for March 1 has been moved to March 8.
- Bishop & Miller’s jewellery & watches valuation day in Stowmarket on March 1 has been cancelled.
- Rogers Jones’ March 2 auction in Cardiff has been postponed due to “safety concerns due to extreme weather”. It has been rescheduled for Tuesday March 6 at 10.30am with viewing on March 5. The auction viewing on March 1 has been cancelled. The firm has asked clients to see Facebook & Twitter for further announcements.
- Mander Auctions in Sudbury, Suffolk has postponed its Antiques & Interiors auction on Saturday March 3. It will now take place on Saturday March 10
- Sworders of Stansted Mountfitchet has postponed its Homes and Interiors Garden sale. It will now be held on March 20. The saleroom is planning to go ahead with its Homes and Interiors sale on March 6, with only the garden furniture and ornaments lots being moved to the sale on March 20.