The badge, worn by the company’s deputy master, was lost in central London earlier this year. Dating from the 1890s, the crest and arms are 18ct gold with enamelling on 22ct gold and platinum. It contains the motto Tempus Rerum Imperator and was in a red velvet pouch.
The Clockmakers’ Company is a City livery company established in 1631 by Royal Charter and this badge is part of the collection owned by the Clockmakers’ Charity.
Designed by goldsmith George Kenning, it was made in 1892 and delivered in 1893. Kenning was a goldsmith and masonic medallist, with premises at Little Britain in the City of London, Liverpool and Manchester.
Kenning, the son of an East End oyster seller, was a well-known supplier of masonic wares including badges, gowns and other items. He developed a newspaper called The Freemason and also helped develop new masonic orders which he would then supply with the souvenirs and props he produced.