• Prohibit Commercial Import of African Elephant Ivory: All commercial imports of African elephant ivory, including antiques, will be prohibited.
• Prohibit Commercial Export of Elephant Ivory: All commercial exports will be prohibited, except for bona fide antiques, certain non-commercial items, and in exceptional circumstances permitted under the Endangered Species Act.
• Significantly Restrict Domestic Resale of Elephant Ivory: We will finalise a proposed rule that will reaffirm and clarify that sales across state lines are prohibited, except for bona fide antiques, and will prohibit sales within a state unless the seller can demonstrate an item was lawfully imported prior to 1990 for African elephants and 1975 for Asian elephants, or under an exemption document.
• Clarify the Definition of "Antique": To qualify as an antique, an item must be more than 100 years old and meet other requirements under the Endangered Species Act.
The onus will now fall on the importer, exporter, or seller to demonstrate that an item meets these criteria.
• Restore Endangered Species Act Protection for African Elephants: We will revoke a previous Fish and Wildlife Service special rule that had relaxed Endangered Species Act restrictions on African elephant ivory trade.
• Support Limited Sport-hunting of African Elephants: We will limit the number of African elephant sport-hunted trophies that an individual can import to two per hunter per year.