One of the tiles on sale at Moore Allen & Innocent with the six-cross shield design.

Enjoy unlimited access: just £1 for 12 weeks

Subscribe now

The encaustic terracotta tiles, by William Godwin & Sons of Hereford, date from the last major restoration of the parish church under Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1865-67.

The church authorities now deem limestone flags more in keeping with the building that will also be fitted with an under-floor heating system.

The tiles - removed from the nave and the north and south aisles (but remaining in the chancel) - will be sold commission-free at the Norcote salerooms. There are up to 800, 4in (10.5cm) square, plain terracotta tiles and 60 each in four designs: a single lion, three lions, a chequered shield and a shield with six crosses.

Each of the patterned tiles is expected to achieve up to £10 for the restoration fund.

By Roland Arkell