Enjoy unlimited access: just £1 for 12 weeks

Subscribe now

It was designed in 1862 by Sir George Gilbert Scott, the great Victorian architect, who was also responsible for the Albert Memorial and St Pancras station in London.

The Hereford Screen will be on permanent public display for the first time in 34 years in the Ironwork Gallery and is the largest and most ambitious conservation project ever undertaken by the museum.

The screen was given to the V&A in 1984 and stored in a London warehouse until funding from the National Heritage Memorial Fund made the conservation and re-display possible. The screen was dismantled into 14,000 pieces, that were all individually conserved, before the huge task of reassembling the screen could take place.