You have 2 more free articles remaining

Made around 1810 by the noted London gunsmith Richard Jackson, the pistols had browned octagonal twist barrels with fire blued dovetailed foresights and figured walnut half stocks chequered at the grips. With adjustable set triggers and charcoal blued spur trigger guards engraved with foliage, globe and book and pineapple finials, the pistols breathed quality.

This was underlined by the quality of the original mahogany case decorated with two platinum lines and engraved flowers and foliage. The locks on the case were signed R. Jackson Wigmore Street.

The set was in good original condition and, unusually, included the original rosewood ramrods along with a two-way powder flask covered in red leather and an 18-bore wad punch. There was some slight scattered rust and speckling but this was hardly a deterrent, most of the set being in very good condition with most of their original finish.

The pair triggered enthusiastic bidding with a specialist buyer beating off his last rival with a bid of £8000.