Earlier this month, 100 years to the day since the outbreak of the First World War, Sandham Memorial Chapel near Newbury reopened to the public after restoration.
The modernist chapel, housing an epic series of 19 works by
Stanley Spencer (1891-1959), is the only National Trust building
dedicated to the Great War.
A year of conservation work has seen the paintings cleaned, the
building replenished and the ground at the back of the chapel
levelled to allow for a new allotment-style country garden. An
interactive exhibition space and refreshments area has been created
within the almhouses that flank the chapel.
The Trust received a £100,000 grant from the Heritage Lottery
Fund for the project with additional funds generated by donations
and a touring exhibition that saw 16 of the large-scale canvas
panels (those mounted on stretchers) on display at Somerset House
in London and Pallant House in Chichester.
The panels will move for perhaps the last time to the Manchester
Art Gallery from November 29, 2014, to March 1, 2015, when final
works will be completed.
The three largest murals, worked on huge single pieces of canvas
adhered to the walls, have remained in situ throughout the
The Sandham Memorial Chapel is among the most personal of all
memorials to the Great War and the jewel in the crown of the
National Trust's modest holdings of 20th century British art.
It was funded by John Louis and Mary Behrend, champions of the
Modern British art scene and among Spencer's most important
patrons, who lived at the Grey House in nearby Burghclere.
Dedicated to the memory of Harry Sandham, Mary's brother who
died from a disease contracted during the war, it follows Spencer's
conception of a monument, inspired by Giotto's Arena Chapel in
Padua, to honour the lives of those not remembered on any official
Drawing upon his own wartime experiences both as a hospital
orderly at the Beaufort Military Hospital in Bristol and as a
soldier on the 'forgotten' front of Macedonia, the mural cycle
combines the realism of everyday life - disinfecting lockers,
inspecting kit, sorting laundry, scrubbing floors and taking tea -
with dreamlike visions that include the resurrection of dead
soldiers from the battlefields of Salonika.
Although not made an official war artist until 1918, Spencer had
produced many of the drawings for his 'Holy Box' while stationed in
the Balkans but did not receive the commission until 1926.
It took him six years and many months away from his beloved
Cookham, before he completed the murals in 1932.
The chapel, which still holds services up to four times a year,
including an annual Remembrance Day event, reopened on August 4 and
will now be open until the end of October when the paintings will
move to Manchester.
Antiques Trade Gazette is the weekly bible of the fine art and antiques industry. Read articles like this every week in the Antiques Trade Gazette or ATG app. Click here to subscribe today.