ATG’s 10 Questions with Omar Vaja, Director of sales at London jewellers Bentley & Skinner.
1. How long have you been dealing? Twenty
2. What was your first job? In a bank, I
was a junior clerk cashier with NatWest.
3. Best and worst thing about being a
dealer? Best, spreading happiness, you are helping
people celebrate a special occasion. Worst, the long
4. Best buy and biggest mistake? Best buy, a
pair of gold, enamel and diamond set cufflinks with the cypher of
the Maharaja of Patalia and diamond set cricket bat and wickets
bought from Bentley & Skinner. Biggest mistake, buying a
pair of 'Gallé' vases in New York which turned out to be fake.
5. Dream object? Crown jewels, as they are full
of historic and specimen gems.
6. Biggest threat to the trade at the
moment? Con artists.
7. Guiltiest pleasure? Silk ties - I have about
8. Any advice for those starting out in the
trade? Be smart but humble; remember people buy
9. Alternative career? Actor.
10. Real ale or espresso martini? A
Antiques Trade Gazette is the weekly bible of the fine art and antiques industry. Read articles like this every week in the Antiques Trade Gazette or ATG app. Click here to subscribe today.