This c.1614 polychrome alabaster sculpture lost from a London church during the Blitz has been returned to its original location.
The effigy of Dr Peter Turner, an eminent
physician and botanist, was taken from the bombed ruins of St
Olave's in the City of London on April 17, 1941, and only
resurfaced in April 2010, when it came up for auction at
Thanks to the goodwill of two European antique dealers, the
£70,000 bust was withdrawn from sale and returned to the church who
commissioned its repair. The bust again completes Turner's funerary
monument in the south-east corner of the church.
Antiques Trade Gazette is the weekly bible of the fine art and antiques industry. Read articles like this every week in the Antiques Trade Gazette or ATG app. Click here to subscribe today.