Tuesday - 29 July 2014

Removal men move in at Partridge

07 September 2009Written by ATG Reporter

THE removal men descended on New Bond Street last week to begin the task of clearing out the stock at Partridge. By the morning of Friday, September 4, the biggest object left in the window was a large roll of bubblewrap being used to pack up the antiques for loading onto several lorries parked along the street.

Richard Merrin, spokesman for administrators MCR, who were called in to run the business on July 20, said he had nothing to add to his firm's original statement that they were "concentrating on saving the business and selling the store as a going concern".

However, at least one ATG subscriber told us that when he visited the shop on Tuesday last week, he was informed that the doors would be closing the following day.

Whether or not the stock has actually been sold, with the shop being cleared out over several days, it is hard to see how it can remain the "going concern" referred to by Mr Merrin.

Few clear details have emerged as to exactly what is happening with Partridge, but at the end of last week, the official Registry of County Court Judgments still listed three Unsatisfied Judgments against the firm in England, one dating from the end of April, the other two from June.

Together they amount to just over £320,000 in unsettled payments.

Allied Irish Bank, who called in the Receivers, rebuffed claims by former chairman Mark Law that they had acted unfairly, dismissing his assertion in ATG No 1901, August 8, that he was given only 90 minutes notice of their move, and that the firm was in a healthy state as "simply not true".

By Ivan Macquisten

Antiques Trade Gazette is the weekly bible of the fine art and antiques industry. Read articles like this every week in the Antiques Trade Gazette or ATG app. Click here to subscribe today.

Back to top