When first unveiled at the International Exhibition in London in 1862 (and subsequently shipped to Paris in 1867 and Vienna in 1873), the St James’s Clock, as it became known, was heralded as the second largest clock in the world after E.J. Dent’s Big Ben.
Made by J.W. Benson, it stood close to 30 ft tall and, when in
1875 it was installed in St James's Cathedral, Toronto as a gift of
the citizens of the city, it cost $14,495.
James William Benson is recorded as working at 62 and 64 Ludgate
Hill, London with a retail outlet at West End House, 25 Old Bond
Street. The firm were turret clock specialists - also responsible
for the mighty Hussainabad clock tower in Lucknow, India - but like
Dent could turn their hands to the small scale too.
The pint-size version of the St James's Clock, measuring 2ft 4in
(70cm) high, was made in about 1880.
In a list from 1882 the company makes mention of "new forms
decorated with Wedgewood (sic) and other wares".
Here the three-train, weight-driven turret clock movement with
deadbeat escapement is housed within a Palladian temple with
pillars and arches made from brass and embellished with blue
jasperware urns and panels.
The movement (currently seized) was intended to drive the hands of
four separate jasperware dials set on each side of the double-domed
top and strike the hours and quarters on five bells.
The Saltney, Cheshire saleroom believed the clock would originally
have been housed on a pedestal (probably on a similar classical
theme) into which the weights would have hung.
The whereabouts of both weights and pedestal are now unknown but
such an unusual clock generated great interest on September 29. It
doubled its pre-sale top estimate to sell for £50,000 plus 20 per
cent buyer's premium (inc. VAT).
This is the second most expensive item the firm have sold next to
a Chippendale-period carved pier glass from the same Cheshire home
which, as reported on last week's front page, sold for
By Roland Arkell
Back to top