Wednesday - 24 September 2014

Bidders catch scent of Stroud’s heady brews

16 February 2005Written by ATG Reporter

FOR a century and a half, the family breweries which peppered Stroud, supplied the Cotswolds with a variety of ales.

The last such brewery closed in 1967 but echoes of Stroud's happy history were in evidence at Wotton-Under-Edge back on December 30 at Wotton Auction Rooms (15% buyer's premium).

On offer were a large pair of enamelled Godsell & Sons signs, one pictured right, which had been dug up by the vendor during building works.

They would almost certainly have hung on the walls of Arlingham's Red Lion pub, part of which originally stood on the building site.

The signs may have been discarded when the Godsell & Sons brewery was taken over in 1928 by The Stroud Brewery, but the 5ft x 3ft 4in (1.52m x 1.02m) early 20th century signs were in good condition. They sold to a representative of the Godsell family at £660.

The 1660-lot sale had a number of pieces of interest to specialist collectors including the day's top seller - a size 12 Tête Jumeau bébé with a jointed body, blue sprigged dress and straw hat which realised £3000.

Among the ceramics, a pair of 18th century tinglazed earthenware drug jars, 11in (29cm) tall labelled Diascordium and U.Rosatum, made £1050.

Also contributing to the £130,000 total was a clockwork model of the GWR loco City of Bath, which made £460.

Antiques Trade Gazette is the weekly bible of the fine art and antiques industry. Read articles like this every week in the Antiques Trade Gazette or ATG app. Click here to subscribe today.

Written by

ATG Reporter

Back to top