Friday - 19 December 2014

Elisabeth Frink works mark the end of a era

12 October 2001Written by ATG Reporter

IN May 1967 Caroline Lumley and Camilla Cazalet quickly began establishing Lumley Cazalet (33 Davies Street, W1K 4LR. Tel: 020 7491 4767) as leading specialists in late 19th and 20th century prints, with an emphasis on the French School.

The ensuing years brought a broader range of work in diverse mediums, including drawings and sculpture by Elisabeth Frink (1930-1993), who staged a solo show at the gallery in 1989. Sadly, Camilla and Caroline have decided to retire from commercial life and at the end of the year the gallery will close, although Catherine Hodgkinson who joined the partnership in 1970 will continue as a private dealer.

It may be the close of an era but Lumley Cazalet still mount an impressive valedictory exhibition. From October 18 to November 16 the gallery offers sculptures (£18,000-60,000), drawings (£5500-14,000) and prints (£1200-2500) produced by Elisabeth Frink between 1970-1992. Although the bulk of the show comprises prints, such as the celebrated Green Man series of screenprints of 1992 and works like this artist’s coloured proof lithograph, right, of 1974 The Cormorant, (£1800), there are five sculptures, including the 1977 bronze Tribute II, together with the watercolour Rolling Horse and three pencil drawings.

Antiques Trade Gazette is the weekly bible of the fine art and antiques industry. Read articles like this every week in the Antiques Trade Gazette or ATG app. Click here to subscribe today.

Written by

ATG Reporter

Back to top